Peter Robinson opened his first draper’s shop on Oxford Street in 1833. By 1850, the business was so successful that he was able to buy up nearby shops and open a large department store, which continued to specialise in women’s clothing and accessories. John Lewis, who gave his name to the nationwide Partnership, worked at Peter Robinson’s for a time, before moving on to set up his own business. The Grade II listed building which now stands in London was designed by the architect Henry Tanner and opened in 1923. Built in the Classical style, it occupies nos. 214–234 Oxford Street. Over time, Peter Robinson’s expanded beyond its central London store to form a small chain, which was taken over by Burtons (now the Arcadia Group) in 1946. The popularity of the store is evident from a wonderful British Pathé film of shoppers queuing up for the 1957 sale, and rummaging through the goods on offer. In the mid 1960s Peter Robinson’s Topshops were opened within the Sheffield and London stores, although the two names were separated less than a decade later in 1974. The Topshop brand has now completely superseded Peter Robinson.